Translate

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

HLW - Part III

Sunday, August 18, 2013

I rolled my still stuffed-belly self out of bed and fumbled my way through to the bathroom. Water!  Making a mental note to self, "Take it easy on the food and drink! Ugh!"  A little breakfast of bread, cheese and tea along with a shower lifted the fog and I was ready for an afternoon of...

In the car and off with Lony and Jemp to a hunting lodge!  Now, a hunting lodge from my perspective can look like a compact shack on the tundra made from waste wood procured at the local dump to a massive log cabin in the mountains. This hunting lodge fit somewhere in the middle.

A cute little place that had been purchased by our hosts 19 years ago, this lodge has hosted many BBQ's and hunting parties with family and friends.  It is rudimentary and quaint.  The necessities are there and they date from present day to likely the 1950/60's. Fun!


Our generous hosts were quick to place champagne glasses in our hands and fill them up. It's going to be 'one of those' afternoons.  Le sigh!  I just have to pace myself.

In quick time, the flow of approximately 25 people began. Standing on the front porch gave me the chance to meet each one as they arrived. I couldn't tell you even 20% of the names of the people there! With the language and numbers of people speaking that language, my brain was entirely focused on trying to translate.

The appetizers and champagne were delicious! There was an added treat of a dash of a homemade berry juice into the champagne glass. Amazing! Too much and it is much too sweet. To little and well, you're just drinking pink champagne. Ask me the name of the berry and, I couldn't tell you. It had been repeated to me many, many times but, nope, it didn't stick.

Lunch was a variety of meats cooked over an open flame accompanied by salads. The BBQ (seen above) is portable, light, and a great idea!  I was very good and took less than my eyes desired and proceeded to join everyone under the tent. Then the wine started to flow.

As the food was eaten and the wine drunk, the volume of the conversations went up and it was primarily spoken in Luxembourgish. I think my need to try and understand, at the very least, the conversation right in front of me, saved me from getting smashed on wine. Wine made it much too hard to focus. As the conversation flowed, I would get brought in by the language switching to English when it pertained to me. The next thing you know, I'm booked for a tour of Luxembourg City the next afternoon with a friend of Jemp's. Uh...okay!? Thank you! There's that randomness I was talking about earlier.

The afternoon carried on and bottles of water were added to the tables, next to the wine bottles still being savored. The weather was cooler than the weeks before and I was glad to have brought my wool wrap. I took a couple of short strolls along the roads, took pictures and popped into the small clusters of conversations that spread out after lunch.

Lony and I strolled up the road to break away and stretch our legs. It was nice to speak English to one person and shake off some of that food and wine. We discussed that we knew we weren't going to be leaving the lodge anytime soon. We were likely going to be there until about 9:00 pm. Pace yourself!

The fire was lit, the BBQ put back in place and the yummy smells of wood smoke and more food were present again. By the time it was all ready, I was adamant with myself to eat only what I could, not what I wanted to. Oh, and to eat some more of the pasta salad...to soak up the wine!  Sheesh!

A special note about the animals. I love dogs and I enjoyed watching these two work the crowd. The cattle are pretty and were alert. They weren't too impressed with me making silly clicking noises to get their attention. Silly human!


More eating (a little rabbit for a change) and a little later than planned, by about an hour, we were back at home base for the post-party recap.  It was great fun!  With great people!

I crashed into bed.  What was it that I had told myself this morning....?

No comments:

Post a Comment